On July 18, 1946 the FCC granted an application for a new 250 watt AM daytime station in Portland OR on 800kc. to John W. Davis. Calls KJXD stood for John Davis, future G.M. On December 18, 1946 KJXD was granted a modification of power level from 250 watts to 1KW. Also in late 1946 KJXD calls were changed to KPDQ. On July 8, 1947 it was announced that KPDQ's Chief Engineer would be Rodney F. Johnson & Don Dundell, Program Director.
On July 30, 1947 KPDQ began operation at 6PM. Studio & transmitter were located at Oaks Park. (no physical address to this day, between 320 & 330 foot of S.E. Spokane St., on S.E. Oaks Park Way, access road). Raytheon transmitter. Tower 260 feet. KPDQ call slogan: join the K-Pretty Darn Quick switch to KPDQ. KPDQ broadcast sunrise to sunset daily. Programs consisted of news & transcribed music.
In 1949 KPDQ moved studios to The Panama Building (534 S.W. 3rd Ave., room 210) & William E. Richardson became General Manager. On November 27, 1950 KPDQ began it's first weekday religious program. (title unknown, listed as religious). In 1951 John W. "Jack" Davis became General Manager once again as well as Owner. On November 7, 1951 Fred C. Haskins became Program Director, Announcer & Chief Engineer.
In 1952 KPDQ moved studios to The 6th St. Terminal Building (1008 S.W. 6th Ave., room 207). By December 1954 John W. Davis was Owner, President & General Manager, Willard Guthrie, Program Director & Robert Beattie, Chief Engineer. By October 1955 Mark Fidler was Program Director, News Director & Disc Jockey. KPDQ slogans: The music & news voice of Portland. 1,000 watts of grown-up listening. By December 1955 Don Wilkinson was Chief Engineer.
In 1956 KPDQ moved studios to a brick building in The Hollywood District. (4903 N.E. Sandy Blvd.). By December 1956 Dale Allison was Program Director & Keith Griggs, News Director. KPDQ slogan: The voice of Hollywood. By 1958 KPDQ's broadcast schedule mostly consisted of religious programs. By August 1958 Dan McDonald was Program Director & Dan McPeak, Chief Engineer.
On April 1, 1959 KPDQ became Portland's first full-time religious broadcaster since KFQN in 1924. KPDQ slogan: Portland's radio pulpit. By August 1959 Arlan Walker was Chief Engineer. On September 10, 1959 KPDQ began broadcasting from it's new transmitter site in Raleigh Hills OR. (7201 S.W. Vermont Court). Continential transmitter. Tower 260 feet. In early 1960 David M. Jack became Station Manager. (later KLIQ Owner). On August 18, 1960 licensee name changed to KPDQ, Inc.
On October 11, 1961 KPDQ added an FM simulcast sister. KPDQ-FM began operation on 93.7mc. By October 1962 Don Wilkinson was back as Chief Engineer. By October 1963 Robert W. Ball, Jr. was General Manager & Jerry W. Johnson, Program Director. By February 1969 KPDQ slogan: The sound of inspiration. By October 1969 David Winchester was Program Director.
On November 24, 1970 KPDQ was granted Pre-Sunrise Authority to operate 6AM to sunrise with 491 watts. In 1972 KPDQ had 13 full-time & part-time employees and was rated one of The Top 4 Religious Stations in the Nation, by the NRB. (National Religious Broadcasters). By December 1975 Joe Alcorn was Operations Manager & Gary Hurst, News Director. By 1976 KPDQ slogans: Inspirational Radio Northwest. Portland's sound of inspiration.