DX Reports

Feedback.pdxradio.com message board: Portland Radio: DX Reports
Author: Radioxpert
Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 2:17 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

While driving between Albany and Eugene (Saturday evening) I heard 97.7 KFMY, 99.3 KDDS, and 102.9 KNBQ coming in quite clearly.

Anyone else have any impressive DX reception stories? 'Tis the season!

Author: Jr_tech
Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 11:38 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Seems like this late hot weather is good for tropo:

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_wam.html

I am hearing some eastern Washington stations that normally I receive on rare occasions in the summer (KPQ 102.1 Wenatchee & KEYG 98.5 Grand Coulee).

Interesting that the KFMY call letters could perhaps be heard again in Eugene last night... One of my first FM DX catches, many years ago was KFMY... Blanton Heights... Eugene, which was on 97.9!

Author: Radiohead
Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:54 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I picked up KING-FM at 98.1 the other day.

Author: Semoochie
Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 11:24 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

That's a good place for it! :-)

Author: Jr_tech
Monday, September 29, 2008 - 2:15 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

It looks like the party is over today. From Hillsboro, Classical KING is quite weak and often covered up by the country station in Seaside (also on 98.1). KPQ 102.1 Wenatchee & KEYG 98.5 Grand Coulee are gone.

Trivia question... When was KING a country station?

Author: Paulwalker
Monday, September 29, 2008 - 3:01 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

If you are referring to KING-FM, never. It has been classical since it signed on in 1948.

KING-AM? Don't recall, but if they were country I'm guessing it was sometime in the late 50's or early 60's and didn't last long. Am I close?

Author: Paulwalker
Monday, September 29, 2008 - 3:19 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Wait...did Infinity simulcast KMPS-FM on the 1090 frequency for awhile?

Author: Jr_tech
Monday, September 29, 2008 - 4:03 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I don't know, but I have a memory (perhaps one of those "false memories" that we talked about on another thread) of Classical KING switching briefly to country music, perhaps in the early 80s. Before KBPS-FM was launched in Portland, I listened to KING and KUOW quite a bit, when conditions were good.

Author: Paulwalker
Monday, September 29, 2008 - 4:12 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I'm afraid it was one of those "false memories". I was in Seattle during the 70's and 80's, and KING-FM was the only station my Dad listened to. He even got called for an Arbitron survey, and as I recall KING-FM had a great book after he filled it out. He would have had a fit if they had gone country!

Author: Semoochie
Monday, September 29, 2008 - 7:41 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I'm really out of my league here. Before KMPS, including a short stint with KMPS-AM, the primary Country station in Seattle was KAYO, dating back to its Top 40 days. I'm thinking there were otheer players such as KMO on the south end and KWYZ on the north. I have a vague recollection of something on FM, maybe KTW 102.5, 96.5 or both. It could also be neither. Before KAYO switched to Country, it wasn't much of a format outside of the south. It doesn't seem likely King Broadcasting would waste 50kw on it if they were indeed running that much power at the time. KING is fairly new anyway. I'm not sure it's as old as the TV station. The only thing different I can think of on KING-FM was that they used to incorporate Jazz within the format. KMPS had 2 direct FM competitors at the same time on 96.5 and 106.1 but both were bought out and that was much later. I'm sure they're laughing at us right now on the Seattle board at radio-info.com.

Author: Radioxpert
Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 2:20 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Last night, I heard 93.9 KPDQ-FM, and 97-1 Charlie FM in Port Orford, which is over 200 miles away from Portland. (92.3 KGON and 95-5 The Game were covered up by the Eureka stations.)

As I traveled back home, Portland FM's (including 93.1 El Rey) were coming in very clearly around Drain!

Author: Jr_tech
Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 2:43 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

This late warm weather has been good for FM DX... Sunday I turned my antenna to the SW to monitor KQAC 88.1 Glenneden beach (which repeats KBPS-FM). I was surprised to hear NPR programming... WTF! did the feed to the coast get mixed up somehow? No! Propagation conditions were great and I was hearing the more distant (and much weaker) KLFO 88.1 in Florence (which repeats KLCC) covering up KQAC!

The next few days will be good for Meteor scatter (the Leonids)... Tuned to a blank FM or TV channel short "bursts" of reception from stations in the 1000 to 2000 mile range may be heard. Rds may help to get a quick identification.

Author: Broadway
Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 7:39 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

>>El Rey) were coming in very clearly around Drain!

you've got some killer boss fm in your vehicle.

Author: Justin_timberfake
Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:31 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

On saturday night I was driving in the Yugo, actually I was just leaving "5 Guys Burger and Frys" in Beaverton and I could hear KNRQ and KZEL crystal clear in the Yugo.

Author: Jr_tech
Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:11 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

OEM or aftermarket Radio? Who made radios for Yugo?

Author: Radioxpert
Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:42 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I was just up at Sea Lion Caves, and heard the Eureka FM's booming in! Eugene's 99.1 and 101.5 were mixing with the Eureka signals!

Author: Justin_timberfake
Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:46 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I had to get a radio installed because most Yugo's don't come with stereo's!

Author: Oldbroadcaster
Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:10 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

What does QEM stand for?

Author: Jr_tech
Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:44 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

OEM = "original equipment manufacture", like Delco for GM car radios.

Author: Motozak2
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 1:56 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

QEM = Quadrature Emplitude Modulation??

*grin*

Author: Scott_young
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:08 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Gotta sing the praises of the Sony SRF-59 pocket radio as an AM DXing radio. Last weekend I rode Franklin's Cross Country team bus to the regionals held in Boise. Driving through Boise I listened to Mark & Dave on KEX by sitting the radio in the window of the bus. This was about 5pm MST so KEX was still running non-D. After KEX's pattern change 1190 was dominated by the country station in Saskatchewan. Later that night the 1520 in Oklahoma City was in like gangbusters, as well as 1540 in Waterloo, Iowa, and the 1500 in St. Paul. Wish I'd have had more time to listen. This little $15 radio is the best DXing bang for the buck I've ever seen. Not a bad FM performer either.

Author: Radioxpert
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:23 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Yeah, my little Walkman has impressive AM reception, and good FM reception, as long as I'm not too close to any local transmitter sites. Fresno is a great place to use the Walkman, since the FM sites are outside of the city area.

Author: Greenway
Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:10 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

The Sangean DT-200VX is a pretty impressive Walkman size unit,too..I mean I can get a reasonable signal from KOFI 1180 in Kalispell MT through all of KEX's IBOC hash from my living room...my question to Scott is--did you alter your Sony in any way? I've read on other sites about ways to amp up the reception...

Author: Alfredo_t
Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:34 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

> I mean I can get a reasonable signal from KOFI 1180 in Kalispell MT through all of KEX's IBOC hash
> from my living room

Where are you geographically, with respect to KEX's transmitter? I will have to see if I can pull in KOFI tonight by nulling out KEX. I am in Hillsboro, so this might be tough to do because (by my estimates), there are less than 45 degrees of separation between Kalispell and KEX's transmitter site.

Author: Alfredo_t
Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:37 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I have another DX related question: I have been looking for any resources related to the reverse-engineering of the C. Crane twin-coil ferrite antenna. I am curious how this device operates, but I don't own one.

Author: Jr_tech
Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:48 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

The Sangean DT-200 can produce a very sharp null, I think that that is perhaps it's greatest strength when used for Dxing. Unlike my outside loop, a small portable like this (and I also use an Eton E-5) can be tilted at odd angles to sometimes produce even deeper nulls! Most nights, KOFI is a fairly easy catch on either radio from Hillsboro... Radio Humsifar sp? on 1200 is MUCH tougher. The fine tuning (1khz steps) on the E-5 is also helpful... turns out, that I get less IBOC hiss on 1180 by tuning toward KEX (1182) rather than away from it... results may vary.

Author: Scott_young
Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:09 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Greenway - My SRF59 "ultralight" is unmodified. I too have read about some of the hot rod mods that can be done, but so far I haven't bothered.

I can get quite a deep null on KEX from home in NE Portland but for some reason there's a terrific amount of hum in the null that makes it impossible to hear what might be lurking on 1180 and 1200.

Author: Jr_tech
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:33 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Alfredo_t,

Have you read the patent for the twin coil antenna?

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6529169/fulltext.html

Author: Alfredo_t
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 11:37 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Thanks! No, I had not seen the patent before. The descriptions and diagram on the linked page had the answers that I was looking for.

I was surprised to see that the "twin coil" concept is pretty simple. Spreading out the windings over the length of the rod (as is done in some older radios with ferrite rods, such as the GE P780)would achieve a similar sensitivity-enhancing effect to using two coils. The other important thing shown in the diagram is that the resonant circuit on the ferrite rod is kept in a balanced configuration (i.e. they don't ground one end of the coil).

Author: Jr_tech
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:20 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Jay Allen writes:

"I do own two radios which don't improve noticeably with the Twin Coil, a GE SR II and a Panasonic RF-2200. (Note that it DOES improve my GE SR III). It would appear that these radios's extreme sensitivity is the reason, but I am only guessing."

http://www.radiointel.com/review-ccrane_twincoil.htm

I know that a home-made 2 foot tuned loop will only slightly improve reception of a 2200, so the twin coil antenna would appear to offer very decent performance, in a small package.
I have always thought of the GE 780 as being the first GE superadio (GE SR-0). It's performance on AM may be very similar to that of the SR-II that is mentioned in the above article.

Author: Jr_tech
Friday, December 05, 2008 - 7:23 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

FM Dx to the south is very good tonight. KRVM (91.9-1.1Kw) from Eugene is quite strong in Hillsboro... They have a CP for 22 Kw, but no indication on the FCC site that they have increased to that level yet. other Eugene stations are quite strong as well, KWAX HD is solid, RDS info is seen on several stations.

Does it work both ways? Are Portland stations booming in, in Eugene tonight?

Author: Randy_in_eugene
Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:13 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Using rabbit ears I got an HD lock on K-103 for a few minutes before 9 p.m.

No HD detected on other Portland signals except an attempted lock on KWJJ (Calvary Chapel's 99.5 Eugene translator seems to be operating at about one watt right now).

Reception was likely better near sunset.

So why is K-103 running two streams of Christmas music? The least they could do is run their regular soft rock on the HD-2.

Author: Randy_in_eugene
Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:54 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

KPDQ-FM is totally covering the 93.9 translator from Cottage Grove that I usually hear, so it's possible there is nothing wrong with Calvary Chapel's 99.5 after all.

I'm also marginally picking up 94.7 analog and just barely hearing 93.1, both difficult catches in Eugene.

Author: Jr_tech
Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:20 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

The Moose 95.3 is booming in here (normally fairly weak). The HD light is blinking on KZEL, but no lock (but even this is rare since 95.9 was turned on)... Got a new RDS ID "KKNU 933" with no decimal point... is that correct?

Author: Randy_in_eugene
Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:10 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

That is correct. Co-owned KMGE shows as "Mix 945".

I'm not having any trouble getting the RBDS info on those Portland stations that are coming in better-than-marginal.

Author: Semoochie
Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:20 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

KKCW HD2 should still be Smooth Jazz. Maybe, something's wrong! I was thinking KRVM was still in the application stage. It looks like we were both right. Their modification of the construction permit IS in the application stage. It's for 15.5kw horizontal and 6.6kw vertical @ 271 meters HAAT.

Author: Jr_tech
Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 10:02 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Wow! The modification to the original CP for less power from slightly more elevation was "Accepted for Filing" 07/18/2007 ! The gears at the FCC appear to be grinding fairly slowly.
KRVM is still booming in this morning... pretty good for 1.1 Kw.
I tuned 103.3 HD-2 briefly last night and heard Eyna *not* Christmas music. Smooth Jazz?

Author: Notalent
Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 11:11 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

This would not be the first time a Calvary Chapel translator was observed operating above licensed power.

Author: Semoochie
Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 5:49 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

KRVM's application is on the "blocked" list with the reason given as "tower registration".

Author: Jr_tech
Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 11:54 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Ouch! Anyway, it was fun while the enhanced reception existed... Interesting programming:

http://www.krvm.org/programs/details.html

Author: Jeffreykopp
Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 1:39 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I snagged a quarter hour of KGEM Boise on the graveyard channel 1140 last night before some country station overtook it. Nice upbeat late '60s pop rock format. No Web site or stream.

Author: Scott_young
Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 3:40 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

1140 sure sounds like a graveyard channel these days doesn't it? Use to be if you aimed your receiver N-S you'd get KRAK in Sacramento in like a local, and if you nulled Sacramento you'd get KGEM in like a local. Now Alberta and I don't know who else is in the mix. It's a wasteland now.

Author: Newflyer
Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 5:16 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I remember picking up 1140 KHTK a few times when the Sacramento Kings were a team worth following. I've also heard KGEM on the same frequency as well.

I also remember about 11 years ago when KRVM was "92V" and had "9 to 2 Rocks" six days a week or so. Definitely worth listening to, especially since I could also listen to KUFO, KNRK, KGON, KKRH (Earth 105), KZEL, and 102.3 The Hawk (I'm probably leaving out some I used to listen to back then)...
and all 7 stations played different music and were totally worth listening to!

Author: Semoochie
Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 11:56 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

CKXL(assuming it's still called that)has always come in! The 3 stations used to swap between themselves.

Author: Jeffreykopp
Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:20 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

It's now CHRB, or CHRB has taken its place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHRB

What was CKXL became CKIS-FM. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKIS-FM

Author: Shipwreck
Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:04 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

When I lived in Astoria in the 1970s, KRAK was always the dominant signal on 1140.

Author: Alfredo_t
Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:55 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I listened to 1140 yesterday, and I was surprised by how "messy" the channel was. Orienting the antenna east-west, I heard a KGEM ID. There were one or two weaker co-channel signals that could not be nulled out. Turning the antenna north-south, I heard a religious program on a fairly strong signal and some co-channel station interference that could not be nulled out.

A query of Radio-Locator for all 1140 stations within 1200 miles of here brings up the following

Call LettersCityState/ProvinceNighttime Xmitter Power
CFXLCalgaryAlberta46.0 kW
KGEMBoiseID10.0 kW
KHTKSacramentoCA50.0 kW
KNWQPalm SpringsCA2.5 kW
KSFNLas VegasNV2.5 kW

Author: Billboise
Monday, December 08, 2008 - 1:33 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

CFXL's the religious station. Calgary's never been too concerned about switching to their night power and directional. The CRTC doesn't seem to be either since it doesn't effect another Canadian station.

Years ago was on SE 39th or 52nd, playing around with the radio found KGEM booming in, just as we went past Boise Street.

Author: Semoochie
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:29 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

KRVM has re-applied for a modification. This time, it's for 15kw horizontal and 6.4kw vertical at 276 meters HAAT, 80 meters from their licensed site.

Author: Broadway
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:18 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Looks/sounds like they are having tower lease problems...they've been talking/applying for a power increase for years.

Author: Jr_tech
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:32 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

If I am reading these correctly:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=59340

It appears that the latest application is on the same tower (ASRN 1205503) as the previous application that was "blocked because of tower registration"... confusing!

Author: Semoochie
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:45 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

This mostly corrects some clerical errors.

Author: Pdxgary98
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:32 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I get 95.1 KSND in NW Portland and I see that 94.3 KPIE Dallas is gone. My oh my these stations come and go so quickly.

Author: Alfredo_t
Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 3:06 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

KFIA (Carmichael, CA) is really mopping the floor with KIRO on 710 right now! I am surprised because it is way too early for KIRO to be on its night pattern. KIRO is 132 miles north of here, and KFIA is 470 miles to the south.

Author: Broadway
Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 4:15 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Weird skip with the snow?

Author: Alfredo_t
Monday, December 22, 2008 - 4:34 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

On days like these in the dead of winter, the medium frequency skip never seems to go away completely. Although I am not a radio propagation expert, I would suspect that the most likely cause is that the D layer of the ionosphere doesn't absorb enough sunlight to effectively absorb radio signals.

Author: Adiant
Monday, December 22, 2008 - 7:02 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

For a couple or three winters in the late 1960s, I supplemented by other medium wave DX, with a second log book, just for reception from 11 am to 1 pm local Standard Time in a suburb of Vancouver, Canada. Most distant reception was Salt Lake City, including the 10KW 1550 station. But I never got over the Rockies.

You are right about skip still existing then, as one day I was getting both stations in Nampa, Idaho. Still have a short recording that includes an ad for a upcoming concert in Nampa by the Strawberry Alarm Clock.

Back around 2001, one Saturday at noon here in Edmonton, I was amazed at how well I was getting Vancouver and Seattle stations, and even KEX. So, I e-mailed my long-time DX friend, Bruce Portzer, who still lives in Seattle, and he picked up not only some Calgary and Edmonton stations, but also CBK-540 in Watrous, near Regina, Saskatchewan. As I said, when I lived on the West Coast, I never heard anything over the Rockies.

Author: Qpatrickedwards
Monday, December 22, 2008 - 7:50 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

From my location (about 90 kilometres SW of Portland), Saturday morning about 1100, I was hearing 710, 770, 950 and 1090 out of Seattle and 690 out of Vancouver like locals. Also the daytime only religious station on 810 out of N. central Washington was quite strong.

The Calgary stations that I could hear (960 and 1060) and CKWX 1130 from Vancouver were quite weak, but still audible.

During the winter, regularly at night, one of the stations from the Okanagan (CKOR 800) booms in here (since we are outside the nighttime range of KPDQ-AM) side by side with KGO.

Author: Alfredo_t
Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 3:21 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Later yesterday, I found that propagation on HF was a different matter. I first tried around 7:00 PM, and I heard WWV very weakly on 2.5 MHz and a few HAMs on 160m. WWV could not be heard on 5 or 10 MHz. Later in the evening, around 9 PM, I could hear the Radio Wingnuts on 3.740 MHz, and WWV on 5 MHz was just starting to come in.

Author: Billboise
Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 8:37 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

KOMO, KEX were very listenable on a portable in Boise all day Monday. Kinda normal for this time of year.

Author: Alfredo_t
Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 6:06 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Saturday night (Jan. 3), there was some pretty good propagation over the Pacific. On 3.740 MHz, there were several West Coast HAMs making contacts to a station in New Zealand. One of these US HAMs was using just 50 watts, and the guy in New Zealand was able to copy him. I was a bit surprised to hear my friend Jeff WA7MLH jump in. He occasionally monitors 3.740 MHz for the entertainment value, but doesn't waste his time getting involved with the buffoonery on that frequency. Later in the evening, I hear what I think was a South Korean station on 3.796 MHz calling CQ. That guy was almost as strong as the California guys that I had been hearing earlier in the evening!

Radio New Zealand on 31m was reasonably strong that night, and I could hear WWV (not WWVH) on 10, 15, and 20 MHz. The next evening, unfortunately, the propagation was lousy again.

Author: 62kgw
Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 8:31 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

what is the best HD digital DXreception??

Author: Darkstar
Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 8:46 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Well, I've picked up the HD from KNDD (107.7) from Hwy 30 NW of Portland, just after Cornelius Pass and before the Wildwood Golf Course in the car.

The trick is to get deep in the shadow of KXJM (107.5).

I estimate that was about 135 miles...

Author: Alfredo_t
Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:17 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Wow! Picking up the KNDD HD would be a challenge because KXJM is on one side, and KHPE is on the other!

Author: Notalent
Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:31 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

But nothing else is on those HD sidebands.

Author: Radioxpert
Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:36 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

That's quite impressive! 103.3 is the only Portland HD signal I've been able to receive in the hills of Eugene.

Author: Alfredo_t
Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:36 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

So, are you implying that it should be easy to pick up KNDD-HD from Portland?

Author: Notalent
Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:58 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I was not implying that it should be easy to pick up a 1000 watt digital signal from 135 miles away.

I can hear 102.9 analog clearly in parts of Portland and can not get the HD to lock so that is a great catch.

Author: Eastwood
Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 7:50 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

FWIW I picked up WLS from near Redland at 6 pm on a Crane radio last week. First time I'd heard the Big 89 in Oregon in years.

Author: Greenway
Friday, January 09, 2009 - 12:11 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Although it fades in and out and is not really listener quality I have gotten WGN Chicago and KSTP in Minneapolis with my trusty little Sangean DT200VX from my living room

Author: Scott_young
Friday, January 09, 2009 - 12:42 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

The most distant regular reception I get these days is 990 CBW in Winnipeg. Comes in just fine most nights on my little Sony SRF-59 pocket radio. This morning around 6 our time I was listening to their morning drive news block. One of their reporters was live on the air while ice skating on the river. She was interviewing commuters . If you think I'm making this up read this: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/12/12/mb-river-trail.html

-24c (-11f) and they called it a beautiful winter day in Winnipeg just because the wind wasn't blowing!

Author: Shipwreck
Friday, January 09, 2009 - 3:37 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I hear it too, Scott.

Author: Kd7yuf
Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:40 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

At this time I have 91.1 KWAX-HD Eugene in on top of KTJC 91.1 Longview on an Accurian HD receiver hooked up to a Radioshack VU190XR antenna mounted at 25 feet and pointed at Portland OR. Near solid HD lock as well despite the interference on analog, the distance I would estimate to be around 200 miles and this is being aided by a 30 Db antenna mounted pre-amp.

Author: Randy_in_eugene
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:14 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Portland stations (analog) are coming in better than average, but slightly less than when I posted on December 5 above.

A Sony tuner with rabbit ears won't quite lock into K-103 "HD."

Author: Radioxpert
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:18 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Here in Eugene, I've been getting the "HD" indicator flashing on several of the Portland FM's, but no lock. The DX conditions are quite good at this time.

Author: Radioxpert
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:30 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

This morning, I was able to hear 93.1 KRYP and 94.7 KNRK, using the Sony table-top.

Author: Jr_tech
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:44 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Good conditions! (temperature inversion) from Hillsboro I have solid HD lock on KZEL, KLCC (both very rare) and KWAX, which I can get in HD much of the time.

KRVM sounds like a 100Kw station tonight!

Author: Craig_adams
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 1:15 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

KXL is off the air this morning, probably transmitter maintenance. I haven't caught KXL off in a long, long time so I was interested when I heard a pretty strong station coming in. Was hoping for WSB which I haven't heard in decades. This time it was KOAL Price, Utah broadcasting "Coast To Coast AM". They run 6.8kw at night & 10kw day. I don't think I've picked them up before.

Author: Jr_tech
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:24 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Eugene FM stations are still blasting into Hillsboro like locals. KGW weather channel (8-2 DTV) says "warm air above, foggy below", "air stagnation advisory (until?) 4 PM Saturday"... I associate these conditions with "ducting".

I am not observing enhancement to the north...in fact KZEL is covering up KXXO even when my antenna is pointing north. KING is quite weak, and no HD observed.

This may last for a while ?

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_wam.html

Author: Alfredo_t
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:30 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Ack! I should have been trying to DX VHF last night. Instead, I was trying to listen to 80 meters and 49 meters shortwave, and I was disappointed with how bad the conditions were. Interestingly, I could hear WWV on 2.5 MHz, but 5.0 MHz was almost completely dominated by WWVH.

Author: Jr_tech
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:10 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Ok, this one is strange. On 104.3, I am hearing "Sam" FM, which identifies as 104.5. No way can my tuner be that far off! 104.3 is shown on the FCC site as KKMX, Tri City (South of Roseberg). The RDS says something about "tell your friends about Sam".

Edit add:
104.5 is a 43 W (K283AD) translator in Roseberg, both K283AD and KKMX are owned by Brooke Communications.

Author: Qpatrickedwards
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 1:38 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

UHF was pretty good last night with the inversion as well. I did a scan on my DTV tuner and actually got KGW, OPB, KPTV and KPXG digitals...for about 2 hours. Then they dissapeared.

Now I am back to just my normally recieved DTV, KATU, KOIN, KNMT and CW.

Author: Jr_tech
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 2:13 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Slaps Forehead... didn't think of that! Bet I could have nailed some Eugene/Corvallis DTV!

Author: Jr_tech
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 4:23 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

OK! My first HDTV/DTV DX: KOAC 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 & 7.4 from Corvallis (ota ch 39).

Author: Radioxpert
Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 6:27 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I'm currently receiving KKCW-HD2, here in Eugene. Yesterday morning, I was able to receive KGON-HD2.

Author: Jr_tech
Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 7:06 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I have noticed that average FM signal strength from Eugene has dropped quite a bit from yesterday (-10 to 15 db), but still pretty good. I can no longer get HD lock on KZEL, but KWAX HD lock is stable. I don't see *any* evidence of HD on KLCC, I wonder if they are transmitting HD tonight.
KRVM is nearly gone :-(

Author: Radioxpert
Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:11 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Over the past couple of days, KLCC's HD has been off the air. I wonder what the story is...

Author: Jr_tech
Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:11 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Early Wed morning they were clearly in HD... Wed evening I heard the transmitter go off and on several times... Audio from KLFO (which must be an off the air feed from KLCC) was also dropping out, so this may have been when the failure occured. I noticed then that the HD was missing, but my reception (from Hillsboro) of KLCC HD is rare.

The FM band is STILL doing pretty good, I am hearing "Sam FM" Roseberg/Tri City (104.3) quite well right now!

Author: Alfredo_t
Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:42 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Was the recent VHF DX opening confined to Eugene-Portland stations? On Wednesday night, I tried to see if I could pull in KING 98.1, to no avail.

Author: Jr_tech
Friday, January 16, 2009 - 1:01 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I heard very little from the north. I tried for KING HD, but could barely hear KING analog :-(.

Normally on 96.1, I hear KZEL with my antenna pointed south and KXXO with the antenna pointed North. During this enhancement, KZEL (and sometimes KZEL HD) was heard even when my antenna was pointed north.

KZEL reached nearly 60dBuV on my APS-9 early Wed morning!

Author: Radioxpert
Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 2:00 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Here in Eugene, the Portland FM's are still coming in very well. Roseburg's "Sam" 104.3 is also coming in better than average.

Author: Adiant
Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 9:58 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I'm a little late chiming in, but this past week has been the best I've seen in 20 years for DX from the East. I'm not in the car that much at night, but I only normally get good conditions from the South or South East.

As well as the above mentioned CBW-990 from Winnipeg, I have been hearing CFRW-1290 with what many argue is Canada's best Oldies format. A friend working at CKWX-1130 Vancouver got a call from Saskatchewan from a listener to their AM Drive News run (CKWX is All News, owned by Rogers).

Bottom line of all this is that I'm now addicted to Medium Wave DX for the first time since I hung up my headphones in 1971. A friend lent me his tuned loop antenna, and I finally tried it out, demonstrating just how wrong I was about DX'ing being impossible in this house (RF shielding), 3/4 of a mile from major power lines, and in the South West corner of a city where all the transmitters are South of the city with a strong Northern directional pattern at night. And, all but one, 50KW.

A week ago, friends on the Gulf Islands between Vancouver and Vancouver Island, were getting Hawaiian stations on the car radio at sunrise.

Author: Alfredo_t
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 1:00 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Monday night, I noticed more activity than usual, as well as a mystery signal, on the 160 meter amateur band. The mystery signal was an unmodulated carrier that would show up on 1.900 MHz, stay there for one minute, then drop and reappear on 1.910 MHz, stay there for one minute, and then move up another 10 kHz. This signal would thus continue going up the dial in 10 kHz increments until it reached 1.950 MHz. After being on that frequency for one minute, it would drop and reappear at 1.900 MHz. This pattern repeated several times, and the signal was fairly strong. Most likely, somebody was testing out an antenna system; whoever this was should have identified his or her station when firing up on each frequency.

Author: Alfredo_t
Friday, April 24, 2009 - 9:32 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Here's another DX report: CFRX (6.070 MHz) is back on the air after being dark for several years! I am listening right now. CFRX is a simulcast of Toronto's CFRB (1010 kHz). CFRX broadcasts with 1 kW from a 50' vertical antenna.

Author: Alfredo_t
Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 10:25 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Tonight, I am getting a monster signal on 3.250 MHz. It is a carrier that pulses on and off at a steady rate. I found it because it was combining with KUIK to produce an intermod product at the difference of the two frequencies (1.890 MHz). This sounds like it could be some type of over-the-horizon radar or a device to check propagation.

Author: Jr_tech
Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 10:35 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Wow! 20 to 30 over S-9 here! The pulse rate just changed... At first it sounded like a model airplane, now more like an old Fairbanks-Morse Hit and miss.

Author: Scott_young
Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 12:03 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

Last night around midnight as I was doing some casual AM DXing on the car radio I heard something I've never ever heard before...another station on 1530 underneath blowtorch KFBK in Sacramento. Not strong enough to identify, but unusual nonetheless. I wonder if one of the clear channel "fill in" stations didn't power down at sunset for some reason.

Author: Kd7yuf
Monday, May 18, 2009 - 2:44 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

The FM DX season has started again it looks like. At this time I am getting KZEL 96.1 Eugene Oregon along with the normal KXXO Olympia on my HD receiver. It is even locking onto KZEL-HD as well and showing their PAD info which at this time reads "KZEL Rocks!" rather than showing song and artist info. This I got before and have a video showing the station but it needs some cleanup work before being uploaded to the internet at all

Author: Radioxpert
Monday, May 18, 2009 - 7:18 am
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

How about the other Eugene stations?

Author: Kd7yuf
Monday, May 18, 2009 - 6:38 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

I did get a hint of the IBOC carriers from KWAX along with KEHK 102.3 being stronger than normal. KEHK normally can be received but its weak.

Author: Radionut
Monday, May 18, 2009 - 8:09 pm
Top of pageBottom of page Link to this message

On the Seattle blog someone reported hearing KINK and KQAC recently in Seattle.

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Log Out   Administration
Welcome to Feedback.pdxradio.com message board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.