archive2009-14.pdxradio.com » Politics and other things

1. Skybill9

Trying to justify what is wrong is a major part of why society is in the shape it is in today.

Right is right and wrong is wrong no matter how much or how little money/food/possessions, etc. that a person has.

Posted on July 7, 2014 - 11:13 AM #
  2. missing_kskd

Here is the very ugly part. If I had not done a few things I did, I would not be where I am now, able to give back and contribute to others.

Ever have that experience?

When I look back, I am troubled. Perhaps it was my lot in life to just not be here, and I should have just done those "no excuse" things and let it all play out. Or, should I have done them?

I don't know. What I do know is I wasn't there for anything I did, and so just how accountable to those things do I really need to be? Worse, why entertain that kind of noble behavior when it is clear nobility isn't the norm, very likely putting me there in the first place?

Yeah, go ahead and think on it some, and if gun control isn't the answer, and I am not sure it is for this scenario, then just what is?

Those impoverished people are asking as uch as they are acting out. If you guys have it all buttoned down and right, what exactly are those answers and how do we get them to those people?

Or is it just their lot in life, and we expect them to lie down and take it?

Posted on July 7, 2014 - 11:13 AM #
  3. missing_kskd

So it is their fault?

How come we don't take wealthy and powerful people to the wood shed in the same way?

If right is right and wrong is wrong, we should see a lot of people in jail, who aren't?

And those poor people see that wrong same as you and me.

What do we really expect them to do? Seriously?

Posted on July 7, 2014 - 11:14 AM #
  4. Skybill9

"Here is the very ugly part. If I had not done a few things I did, I would not be where I am now, able to give back and contribute to others."

Well, that certainly justifies wrong doing.

"...and if gun control isn't the answer..."

It's not as simple as gun control. There are too may issues involved to thing that simply passing more gun laws would do any good. If every gun suddenly disappeared then they would use knives, baseball bats or some other weapon.

I would suspect that gangs and drugs come to play more often than not.

Posted on July 7, 2014 - 11:33 AM #
  5. Skybill9

"So it is their fault?"

Not completely, but to some extent, yes.

It all boils down to the decisions people make and a person is responsible for their own actions/decisions.

Too many people want to pass the buck and blame someone/something for their own decisions.

Posted on July 7, 2014 - 11:37 AM #
  6. missing_kskd

So then we do have a problem there we can't very easily dismiss and pin on those people.

Re: The above. No, it does not justify wrong doing. But it got done, see what I mean?

I just didn't get caught, and I'll leave it there. Still wrong, still unjust, and all of that.

Posted on July 7, 2014 - 02:09 PM #
  7. missing_kskd

What I am getting at here is systemic things. Gangs, crime, shootings, drugs, and other undesirable things like poor education, lack of resources, food, etc... all have costs. And those costs get paid regardless. No freebies.

So then, if gun control isn't the answer here, and I am suggesting it isn't really, then what is?

Blaming them, or just settling on something general and easily dismissed doesn't cut it, which is my point.

People are happy to talk about the what and often who, but we struggle a lot with why and how.

Posted on July 7, 2014 - 02:14 PM #
  8. Deane Johnson

Since it's no longer socially acceptable to talk about something that's happening to a race of people, there can be no solution. No person in politics is going to touch this with a 10 foot pole.

"we struggle a lot with why and how"

Because there can be no open discussion about these two issues.

It requires a lot of knowledge and open discussion of the facts, whatever they me by, to begin arriving at a solution.

Posted on July 7, 2014 - 02:24 PM #
  9. missing_kskd

It is totally acceptable to discuss that. Who are you kidding?

Posted on July 7, 2014 - 02:30 PM #
  10. kennewickman

And then there is the Illegal Drug issue which when mixed up with Poverty all that goes with it...drugs, associated gangs, guns and death,yep !

Posted on July 7, 2014 - 02:53 PM #