archive2009-14.pdxradio.com » Politics and other things

1. Vitalogy

Mexico? Afghanistan?

No, Chicago. Just another weekend.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/More-than-50-Shot-over-Fourth-of-July-Weekend-265950061.html

Posted on July 6, 2014 - 01:25 PM #
  2. Deane Johnson

Democrat run city, I believe.

Posted on July 6, 2014 - 01:52 PM #
  3. Andrew

And yet, several people were killed or hurt in car accidents in Chicago, too, in the last few days. But no one will lobbying their government for stricter traffic laws.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Couple-Killed-in-Crash-on-Way-to-July-4th-Barbecue-265909521.html
    http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Boy-Dies-After-Falling-From-Vehicle-in-Terrible-Accident-265710721.html
    http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/25943598/two-car-crash-leaves-two-in-critical

Posted on July 6, 2014 - 02:14 PM #
  4. radiodork

Chicago is becoming such a dangerous place to live. Its the all-black neighborhoods where all the shootings always take place. If you look at the video there is not a single white person in sight except for the cops.

Posted on July 6, 2014 - 02:14 PM #
  5. Skybill9

Yep, in the city with some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country.

Posted on July 6, 2014 - 03:12 PM #
  6. paulwalker

When I lived in Chicagoland, in the mid-2000's, the problem was growing. radiodork is absolutely correct. If you take the southside out of the equation, Chicago is nirvana. Big, brilliant city with one of the best skylines in the world, fantastic transportation infrastructure, great culture and lifestyle, expensive, but not to the point of NY or LA.

However, today's racial divisions are more pronounced in Chicago than perhaps anywhere else in the country, atleast in the big cities. Most of this is black on black crime, but what it really amounts to is disinfranchised people who have little or no hope. So there you have your racial division.

Posted on July 6, 2014 - 03:15 PM #
  7. NoParty

Poverty makes people do stupid things.

Posted on July 7, 2014 - 12:38 AM #
  8. missing_kskd

What does this really tell us?

There may be gun restrictions, and they may or may not be enforced well. Say they are, just for grins.

People are doing crime and acting out a lot too.

Why is that?

There is a racial divide.

Why is that?

Solutions would involve really answering those and other related questions. Data driven policy isn't something people are used to thinking about. Congress? Forget it right now, though we do have some of Congress trying.

Posted on July 7, 2014 - 09:03 AM #
  9. Skybill9

"Poverty makes people do stupid things."

Rich or poor, right is still right and wrong is still wrong.

Being poor is no excuse.

Posted on July 7, 2014 - 09:11 AM #
  10. missing_kskd

Yeah it is.

I've been really poor. Poor enough to worry about really basic things like eating.

When enough people are poor enough to struggle in basic ways, they will act out, they will do crime, and they will do it because they feel core injustice that renders their respect for their society impotent. With that comes motivations to act to survive and grow, and when they see it only comes at the expense of others, considerable numbers of them will act accordingly to lift themselves and ones they love and value up to endure.

This is human.

I'll be frank. I did it. I would not kill, unless I really had to. But I would, if my nation and it's society left me ignorant of other options.

And I did it with few reservations too.

What is a small crime when one is hungry, or being discriminated against?

Fair question.

Have you ever been in a position to really answer it? I have.

No, it's not just, right, but it is true.

What alternative does one have? Die? Just tip over?

When poverty is rampant, and people really don't see options, or they labor and fail to meet needs, they get faced with that kind of thing. Have you? Really?

Those of us on the left, who push for a more equitable economic policy aren't doing it out of envy or hate, or weakness. There is some of all those things in play however, but they aren't primary.

Simple human realities and history of outcomes drive us. We know what happens, and we know why too.

Saying tough things like "no excuse" feels right, and it strokes the eqo, but really, it's rather useless otherwise.

Honestly, anyone saying that has no real idea what really is in play.

Posted on July 7, 2014 - 09:59 AM #