archive2009-14.pdxradio.com » Politics and other things

1. Vitalogy

Let's lay it on the line and keep score on our predictions! Nothing like a record to prove who's in reality and who's full of you know what.

President Obama will still be president.
    Merkley and all OR House of Reps will be re-elected.
    Democrats will hold a majority in the Senate.
    Republicans will hold a majority in the House.
    Oregon state Senate and House will remain controlled by Democrats.
    Kitzhaber will be re-elected.

Oregon Ballot Measures currently on the ballot:

Fail M86: Amends Oregon Constitution to create fund for Oregonians pursuing post-secondary education; authorizes debt to finance.

Pass M87: Allows judges to be hired by the National Guard and public universities; allows school employees to serve in the legislature.

Fail M88: Upholds four-year driver licenses for those who cannot prove legal presence in the United States.

Fail M89: Guarantees equal rights regardless of sex.

Fail M90: Creates an open, top-two primary election system.

Pass M91: Legalizes recreational marijuana; tasks Oregon Liquor Control Commission with regulation of its sale.

Fail M92: Mandates labeling of certain foodstuffs that contain genetically modified organisms.

Posted on August 4, 2014 - 03:06 PM #
  2. duxrule

I'm not making predictions in August, thank you very much. However, that one about Obama seems to be pretty solid. :wink:

Posted on August 4, 2014 - 04:26 PM #
  3. NoParty

The GOP will be frothing at the mouth when nothing comes of their law suit and no impeachment.

Posted on August 4, 2014 - 04:38 PM #
  4. missing_kskd

... Legalizes recreational marijuana; tasks Oregon Liquor Control Commission with regulation of its sale.

I hope this one fails. I'm not opposed to pot being legal. Far from it.

However, I think we would be much better off taking the path Colorado did, not the one Washington is taking. The primary motivation for that is to keep big tobacco out of the industry, allowing for new players to become established, as well as their products to be well differentiated.

Both those things would maximize State revenue, as well as best serve the public interest in pot overall.

I am inclined to agree with most of those predictions otherwise. Maybe I'll post my own a bit later, other than I think the Pot measure will fail, due to friction in the community over how best to approach the problem.

Posted on August 4, 2014 - 04:49 PM #
  5. Master of Disaster

The Master of Disaster was unaware of the ballot measure numbers until now. Thank you for the info.

The official news release seems to be here:
    http://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Documents/Measure-No-Assignment.pdf

Basted on this, the Master of Disaster will likely vote the following:
    NO on 86, 88, 90, 91, 92.
    Undecided on 87, will conduct independent research before election.
    NEITHER on 89. (Yes, it's legal to not vote on something; just because it's on the ballot doesn't force one to vote either/or on it.)

Posted on August 4, 2014 - 04:59 PM #
  6. Vitalogy

Keep in mind these are predictions, not how one plans on voting.

Posted on August 4, 2014 - 06:05 PM #
  7. jerry1949

Senate: 55 Republicans
    House: 245 Republicans

Posted on August 12, 2014 - 07:03 PM #
  8. Andrew

Senate: 100 Democrats, 0 Republicans
    House: 436 Democrats, -1 Republicans

Posted on August 12, 2014 - 07:07 PM #
  9. Chris_taylor

Tastes Great- 100
    Less Filling- 99