archive2009-14.pdxradio.com » Politics and other things

1. Vitalogy

An argument between couples over cellphone use at a Florida theater Monday led to one man being fatally shot and woman wounded, according to police who said a suspect was in custody.

Two couples had been watching "Lone Survivor" at The Grove 16 Theater in Wesley Chapel, north of Tampa, when the suspect and his wife apparently took issue with the couple in front of them over use of the phones, Pasco County Sheriff's spokesman Doug Tobin said.

"It ended almost as quickly as it started," Tobin said. Someone he described as a Good Samaritan was able to hold the suspect until police arrived.

Charles Cummings was at the theater for his birthday with his adult son and told a group of reporters that the show was still in previews when the two couples started arguing.

Cummings said the man in the back row got up and left the auditorium, presumably to get a manager. But he came back after a few minutes, without a manager and appearing upset. Moments later, the argument between the two men resumed, and the man in the front row stood up. Cummings said the men started raising their voices.

"Somebody throws popcorn. I'm not sure who threw the popcorn," Cummings said. "And then bang, he was shot."

Cummings said the man who was shot fell onto him and his son. Cummings said his son went to call 911, while Cummings and another patron who claimed to be a nurse began performing CPR on the victim.

A man sitting next to the shooter grabbed the gun out of his hand, and the suspect did not attempt to get away, Cummings said.

"I can't believe people would bring a pistol, a gun, to a movie," Cummings said. "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn. Over a cellphone."

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/2-shot-at-fla-movie-theater-1-later-dies

Standing his ground over popcorn? That's what the NRA is hoping for.

Posted on January 13, 2014 - 03:43 PM #
  2. warner

Florida.

Posted on January 13, 2014 - 05:17 PM #
  3. Vitalogy

Reports say the shooter is a retired cop.

Posted on January 13, 2014 - 06:08 PM #
  4. RadioBuggie
  5. Vitalogy

The retired police captain accused of murdering a Navy veteran after complaining he was texting in a movie theater had just sent a text message from the cinema himself, new documents show.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gunman-theater-texting-case-also-sent-message-n52001

Figures. Another one of those "do as I say not as I do" or I'll shoot you types.

Lock him up and throw away the key.

Posted on March 13, 2014 - 02:34 PM #
  6. Anonymous

Were the previews running at 1:04 PM when the alleged shooter allegedly texted? The report doesn't say. He could have texted 10 mins before anything started.

EDIT: More thorough report on the timeline. http://www.wptv.com/news/state/curtis-reeves-accused-florida-theater-shooter-records-show-he-was-texting-moments-before-incident?autoplay=true.

If the show started at 1:20 the previews may not have started at 1:04.

Posted on March 13, 2014 - 08:52 PM #
  7. Vitalogy

Doesn't matter. He texted in the same seat he got up and shot someone to death for texting.

The reporter's lack of whatever has nothing to do with the facts. He sent a text in the same seat he got up and shot someone else to death for sending a text.

Posted on March 13, 2014 - 08:57 PM #
  8. Anonymous

When the texting occurred is relevant.

Posted on March 13, 2014 - 09:03 PM #
  9. Vitalogy

Not really. What's relevant is an armed person shooting to death an unarmed person in a theatre.

It really doesn't matter whether it was texting or a rain dance.

But the fact that the records show the accused killer sent a text shortly before killing someone for doing the same shows he's a hypocrite on top of a cold blooded killer.

Lock him up!

Posted on March 13, 2014 - 09:12 PM #
  10. Anonymous

I'm not defending the shooting. Not at all. Just saying if the shooter got there very early and was the only one in the theater when he texted, or not even the ads had started yet, his texting may not be very relevant if he didn't disrupt the actual show. A minimum of 16 minutes elapsed from the time he texted to when the previews started.

I repeat, I am not defending the shooter.

Posted on March 14, 2014 - 04:10 PM #