archive2009-14.pdxradio.com » Portland Radio

1390 KWOD (former KSLM) Salem, OR, Charitably Donated

(42 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Master of Disaster
  • Latest reply from Broadway

1. Master of Disaster

Radio Insight reports the "Minority Media and Telecommunications Council" will receive the station.
    The station currently repeats 1080 The Fan, and the Master of Disaster remembers when it simulcasted 910 AM under various formats (notably "910 The Fan", "Max 910", and the mid-zeroes "KISN").

Story and press release here:
    http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/87071/entercom-donates-oregon-am/

The Master of Disaster wonders if AM radio stations in Salem, Oregon, are truly worth $0, or if it's simply the time of the year for a tax write-off. Or, maybe they're donating just the license, with the buyer/broker/future owner responsible for the tower, studio, STL, etc., similar to a new CP.

Posted on December 22, 2013 - 07:16 PM #
  2. W7PAT

So, another Spanish station for Salem.
    I wonder, if 1390 no longer carries ESPN, will KBZY become a sports station?

Posted on December 22, 2013 - 07:51 PM #
  3. RobP

It's probably not pulling enough revenue to keep the pilot lit. And as the Master of Disaster speculated, it is a EOY tax writeoff for the mighty ETM.

Posted on December 23, 2013 - 02:21 AM #
  4. Alfredo_T

...Yet another change that we, the PDX Radio listers, could not predict! 8O

Posted on December 23, 2013 - 11:17 AM #
  5. big89

Not a tax expert here, but I'm pretty sure they can write it off as a loss based on original purchase price less the depreciation they've already taken. Anyone know what they paid for it originally?

Posted on December 23, 2013 - 08:06 PM #
  6. Broadway

Great, new competition for KWIP, KWBY, KSND and other valley commercial Spanish outlets...but can it work when it was not working w/o studio's-offices-staffing???

Posted on December 23, 2013 - 09:54 PM #
  7. Craig_Adams
    Radio historian

Wanted to post this at 9am this morning but the pdxradio website was down.

This from All Access:

----------------------------------------Entercom Donates Oregon AM to MMTC----------------------------------------

ENTERCOM has announced the donation of Sports KWOD-A/SALEM, OR to the MINORITY MEDIA AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS COUNCIL (MMTC). The station has been simulcasting sister Sports KFXX-A (1080 THE FAN)/PORTLAND since 2010. The MMTC has previously been the recipient of AM license donations from CLEAR CHANNEL.

MMTC President DAVID HONIG said, “ENTERCOM is a terrific example of a company that truly has the public interest at heart. Thanks to this generous gift to MMTC, we can train more new entrants in broadcast ownership and further our mission of promoting diversity in entrepreneurship.”

ENTERCOM President and CEO DAVID FIELD added, “We are very excited to be donating this station and providing a new radio entrepreneur with the opportunity to become a great broadcaster and radio station owner. We appreciate the leadership of DAVID HONIG and the MMTC staff and all they do to help enable these opportunities and mentor minority broadcasters.”

Posted on December 23, 2013 - 11:26 PM #
  8. Alfredo_T

Is there a difference in focus or in approach between the Minority Media and Telecommunications Council and Common Frequency? Is Common Frequency only interested in FM broadcast licenses?

Posted on December 26, 2013 - 11:26 AM #
  9. RadioRon

It broke my heart when KSLM, 1390, became a relay for a PDX station rather than a stand alone station. What a terrible thing to do to Salem's pioneer station. I engineered it in the '80's and it was a class act back then. If I won the lottery I'd try to buy it back and restore it as a real station. It really bothered me when Entercom changed the call letters from KSLM to KWOD. That made it sound like the station was a spitball! I guess a sense of tradition is obsolete!

Posted on January 1, 2014 - 10:16 AM #
  10. Broadway

In todays economy/internet technology it would be a huge struggle to start up any AM site.

Posted on January 1, 2014 - 10:48 AM #