July 21st Stumptownblogger:
10 Questions For The Big B.A.(9 posts)
Posted on July 21, 2009 - 06:22 PM #
I was asked and I don't know but what is the album cover he is holding in the first picture?Posted on July 22, 2009 - 03:09 PM #
That's the back cover to Eric Clapton's 1975 live album "E.C. Was Here".Posted on July 29, 2009 - 10:47 PM #
Cool! Now we can date the photo to no earlier than September 1975.Posted on July 30, 2009 - 12:17 AM #
1. Who gave the Big B.A. the big b.a. through the control room window at KVAN (swamp location, 1976)
while he was on the air?
A. Michael Waggoner
B. Les Friedman
C. Rob Sample
D. Sleepy John
2. What kind of rolling papers were a free giveaway to visitors to the KVAN swamp in '76-'77?
B. Club Squares
C. E.Z. Widers
E. Zig Zags
F. None of the above
3. The Big B.A. called his favorite sound effect at KVAN:
D. Jay J
E. All of the above
4. How many 1480 owners did B.A. work for?
5. For almost two years ('76-'78) a life size cardboard cutout of what famous rock musician greeted visitors in the "lobby" (I use the term lobby loosely, if you have ever been to the "swamp" you know what I mean)?
A. Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple/Rainbow
B. Jimi Hendrix
C. David Crosby
D. Phil Lynott of Thin LIzzy
E. Eric Bloom of Blue Öyster CultPosted on July 30, 2009 - 11:36 AM #
This brought back some memories! I tried to find the old "swamp" last year and couldn't for the life of me remember where it would have been. I missed the "St. Johns Dog Motel" sign.Posted on August 4, 2009 - 03:33 PM #
HAH! Andy, I can see my best talent (if not physical feature) is finally getting it's due!
I honestly can't remember if that was me or not, giving BA the BA, but it wouldn't have been the first and it certainly wasn't the last!
Best to all,
RobPosted on August 7, 2009 - 02:08 PM #
Iris, I think the sign is missing or overgrown. Last time driving by I couldn't see it either.
Rob, it wasn't you. I need to send you a email with the answer.Posted on August 7, 2009 - 04:46 PM #
I met BA when he was programming KAAR 1480 after Michael Jack Kirby left. I told him it sounded like the old KVAN and he told me that was what he was trying to do. I think it was in 1985. then that changed later.Posted on August 15, 2009 - 02:19 PM #